Superfast internet may replace world wide web
Glen Kent
2008-04-07 14:51:26 UTC
says the solemn headline of Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/04/06/ninternet106.xm

Also related to this one, here

"Web could collapse as video demand soars
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/04/07/nweb107.xm

.. and we in Nanog are still discussing IPv6! ;-
Bill Woodcock
2008-04-07 15:07:35 UTC
On Mon, 7 Apr 2008, Glen Kent wrote
> says the solemn headline of Telegraph
> .. and we in Nanog are still discussing IPv6! ;-

It's because we don't have a hadron demolition derby to power our American
interwebs

"The power of the grid will be unlocked this summer with the switching
on of the Large Hadron Collider (LHC).

-Bil
Thomas Kernen
2008-04-07 15:36:09 UTC
Bill Woodcock wrote
> On Mon, 7 Apr 2008, Glen Kent wrote
> > says the solemn headline of Telegraph
> > .. and we in Nanog are still discussing IPv6! ;-
>
> It's because we don't have a hadron demolition derby to power our American
> interwebs
>
> "The power of the grid will be unlocked this summer with the switching
> on of the Large Hadron Collider (LHC).

And those of us that live next to the LHC wonder if we will be sucked
into a {vortex|wormhole}

Thoma
Marshall Eubanks
2008-04-07 15:58:33 UTC
On Apr 7, 2008, at 11:36 AM, Thomas Kernen wrote

> Bill Woodcock wrote
>> On Mon, 7 Apr 2008, Glen Kent wrote
>> > says the solemn headline of Telegraph
>> > .. and we in Nanog are still discussing IPv6! ;-
>> It's because we don't have a hadron demolition derby to power our
>> American interwebs
>> "The power of the grid will be unlocked this summer with the
>> switching on of the Large Hadron Collider (LHC).

> And those of us that live next to the LHC wonder if we will be
> sucked into a {vortex|wormhole}

If you are, it won't matter if you live near it or not

Regard
Marshal

Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu
2008-04-07 16:00:17 UTC
Thomas Kernen
2008-04-08 21:48:06 UTC
***@vt.edu wrote
> On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 17:36:09 +0200, Thomas Kernen said
>
>> And those of us that live next to the LHC wonder if we will be sucked
>> into a {vortex|wormhole}
>
> You mean like this
>
> http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20080406&mode=classic

Sounds about right... so maybe one of the benefits of spending most of
my time on the road. I might not actually be there when they power it up
Patrick W. Gilmore
2008-04-07 16:57:42 UTC
On Apr 7, 2008, at 11:39 AM, Steven M. Bellovin wrote

> On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 08:24:54 -0700 (PDT
> Lucy Lynch <***@civil-tongue.net> wrote

>> http://xkcd.com/401
>
> Also http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20080330 an
> http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=2008040

I love those

I also love the top story here, especially the last sentence

<http://bobpark.physics.umd.edu/WN08/wn040408.html

--
TTFN
patric
Jeroen Massar
2008-04-07 15:32:15 UTC
Jon Lewis
2008-04-07 15:43:35 UTC
On Mon, 7 Apr 2008, Glen Kent wrote

> says the solemn headline of Telegraph

> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/04/06/ninternet106.xm

So, the internet was created in Switzerland at Cern's particle physics
center? Can someone look up Al Gore's passport history and tell us when
he spent time there

:

Jon Lewis | I rout
Senior Network Engineer | therefore you ar
Atlantic Net
_________ http://www.lewis.org/~jlewis/pgp for PGP public key________
m***@bt.com
2008-04-07 16:03:48 UTC
> Subject: Superfast internet may replace world wide we
> says the solemn headline of Telegraph

Hasn't your mummy told you not to believe everything tha
you read in the papers? Especially when it involves technology

In any case, there is no new Internet here, just a
engineered P2P network (or call it a CDN if you will) tha
is intended to distribute 15 million gigs per year of dat
to scientists who crunch that data on virtual supercompute
clusters known as the Grid. They do all of this on the Interne
today, except for big data transfers for which most countrie
have build special academic IP networks

The Grid is rather like Amazon's EC2 and this CERN project i
rather like Amazon's S3.=2

Yes, I agree with the Telegraph that P2P and cloud computin
Amazon style, are indeed the wave of the future, but they won'
replace the web or the Internet. They are just another them
being added to the Internet recipe. It's just like Hesto
Blumenthal's cuisine <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heston_Blumenthal>
it's still food, it's still served in restaurants and it stil
counts towards his three Michelin stars

Still, I don't expect bacon and eggs ice cream to come to=2
Baskin Robbins anytime soon

--Michael Dillo
V***@vt.edu
2008-04-07 17:38:54 UTC
Fred Baker
2008-04-07 18:02:08 UTC
That and someone can't tell the difference between a network and an
application that runs in a network

On Apr 7, 2008, at 10:38 AM, ***@vt.edu wrote