Comcast problems?
Steven M. Bellovin
2008-04-05 17:44:54 UTC
Anyone know what's going on with Comcast? From my house, I can reach
few sites with TCP (fortunately, that includes my office, so I coul
set up a web and email proxy). If I use traceroute, I can get more o
less anywhere. If I use a UDP-based traceroute, I can get response
back from the first 8 hops. If I use a TCP-based traceroute, I ge
nowhere

The fact that I get different behavior for different protocols makes m
suspect they're having trouble with equipment designed to control p2
traffic. Their help phone line simply speaks of an outage. Servic
has come back occasionally, but not for long. The problem has bee
going on since about 6am

Does anyone have any data

--Steve Bellovin, http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~sm
Christopher Morrow
2008-04-05 18:16:33 UTC
Post by Steven M. Bellovin
The fact that I get different behavior for different protocols makes m
suspect they're having trouble with equipment designed to control p2
traffic. Their help phone line simply speaks of an outage. Servic
has come back occasionally, but not for long. The problem has bee
going on since about 6am
Does anyone have any data
wasn't it sandvine last time? did you try calling them as well? Al
joking aside, one hopes that these sorts of things show that the 'p2
control' soutions are far from perfect and far from 'well baked' an
likely still very ill-advised

-Chri
Michael Sinatra
2008-04-05 19:40:24 UTC
I didn't save any of my Wireshark traces, but this is what I observed
(I'm behind Charter at home but visiting my brother in NJ - Comcast
territory)
All attempts to check my e-mail (neither Charter nor Comcast) showed the
syns going out but no syn acks coming back. Then, after a few minutes
(pop server time outs I guess) I started seeing fins coming back from
the pop server that matched my connection requests. Saw that occur with
various http connection attempts as well
Of course, the only reason I can send this reply out is that they appear
to be back up. Any chance of getting a non-nonsensical RFO from someone
TCP performance on my Comcast connection in the Bay Area was horrible
last night. tcpdump showed lost segments, dup acks, etc. Moreover, the
UDP traceroute I did showed high packet loss, with outbound traffic from
my connection draining to ATT (AS7012) immediately upstream. Today, the
performance is much better, with traffic draining to Level(3)(AS3356)
and no ATT in the picture

michae
Scott E. MacKenzie
2008-04-06 08:21:00 UTC
Hello Everyone in North America

This is a request for help from any gurus, amazing network engineers, o
technical manager aficionados. Our business is in go-to-market launc
and we need to accelerate the capability and capacity of our technica
team. The business is targeting Middle East North Africa to deliver
near complete cover of the IT Service spectrum and is located in Doha
Qatar. =2

Our technological foundation is built from two Tier IV Data Centres o
25K sq.ft. each plus some Tier III facilities (Uptime Certified).=2

Our service portfolio is built from a global top tier ITO/BP
organization to provide recognized brand and a global reach

If anyone knows of someone or is inclined to help, please drop me a
email

Warm Regards

=2

Scot